MY CLICK. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Booked your hotel here.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Street Photo Documentary-Gambier Street on Fire.

Chef on fire

The above photo credit to The Borneo Post .

Last Sunday I saw local newspaper head line "Chef On Fire".The skill from Master Chef Amin has taken cooking shows to a whole new level with his fiery 'Don't Try this at Home' acts.

This morning at 06:30 am December 23,2009. "Shop Houses On Fire".After reading the morning paper I rush to the city to see what is happening ????

A section of the city’s historical heritage went up in smoke last night when a massive fire destroyed seven pre-war shophouses along Gambier Street.Miraculously, there were no reports of any injury in the 8.30pm incident, which continued on until midnight.

I snap the whole story this morning at 08:00am.(see below)

Bomba Bomba1

Bomba2 PC233591

Last night’s incident was the second time that fire has destroyed the historical shop houses along Gambier Street, with four lots going up in smoke last year.

PC233589

PC233568 PC233591

The shophouses, which front the Sarawak River and are located near the Kuching Waterfront, was built about 60 years ago.

Bomba3

Time 08:30 am...No closure of road by the authority & causing traffic congested .I see no traffic police around the scene until 09:30 am.The blaze, which was believed to have started from a textile shop at about 9pm(22/12/2009 Tuesday) razed at least four shophouses by about 11pm.

PC233573 PC233615

However, firemen were doing their best and they risked their lives in the line of duty.

8 comments:

alicesg said...

I am glad noone's injured. Hope the shophouses can be saved. Thanks for your comments in my post. Wish you a Happy New Year and may 2010 be a better year for all of us. I will be taking a short blogging break and will continued my posting next year.

Bengbeng said...

Wish you a Happy New Year and may 2010 be a better year for all of us.

I read abt the fire on the internet. These are the first pics I have seen. I stayed in KCh for three years. I am famiiar with this area. This is a tragedy to lose a part of the city's heritage.
Fortunately nobody was hurt

Alexander said...

Good coverage. I hope no one is injured. What a lost.

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Wang.

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Sad for lost of heritage building.
Very good photojournalist.
'Selamat Tahun Baru'.

Jama said...

Hopefully the authorities there will do something to keep those heritage building safe for the newer generations to enjoy.

magiceye said...

sad to see the destruction...
thankfully no lives lost

Quilt Works said...

I am glad no one was injured. As a kid I was terrified of fires. I had nightmares about it. I saw one of the houses in the neighbour burn, and was afraid it would happen to us.