MY CLICK. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Booked your hotel here.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Photographing people in public.

As an hobbyist photographer, how do I photograph people in public without it being awkward or creepy?
I do lots of photography, purely as a hobby. I tend to focus on inanimate objects and scenes in part because I find it hard to take pictures of people I don't know. When I'm in public and I see someone doing something interesting or with an expressive look on their face, I often want to take a picture but don't because I feel awkward about it. I have a not so long lens (70-300mm ), so I can keep some distance, but chances are they will see me taking the picture, at which point they'll probably assume I'm a weirdo, and I can't hand them a business card from the local paper to explain that it's all in the name of photojournalism. I even feel awkward asking people for permission to take their picture, which is already a problem since it takes any spontaneity out of the shot.
Wait for the subject to strike the perfect pose, then click until you get the photo you want.
Does anyone have any advice for the best protocol for photographing strangers in public? Should I always ask permission first? What should I say if anyone confronts me about it? How can I get the shots I want artistically without seeming shady? Am I being paranoid about it and most people don't actually care?
You are in public and taking pictures in public is legitimate and most people get it. But people get awfully suspicious and even angry if they notice you sneaking up on them like you’re doing something wrong. As a “rule” I avoid photographing people who don’t want to be photographed. It’s their right and I respect it. Now, if I was secretly photographing them I would have taken that right away from them. Though I have to mention that at times I take pictures of someone, who, for various reasons, just doesn’t notice me, but as I don’t take compromising, offensive or questionable pictures to begin with, the risk of ever upsetting anybody is quite minimal.
Try to focus on the subject. Then focus elsewhere for a minute. Then go back on them. Meanwhile, laugh as though you just looked at a photo you really like. Repeat this until nobody pays any attention to you. They clearly think you are just insane and in your own world.
Most photographers will develop some method or another to deal with this challenge in a way that works best for them. Some photographers choose to secretly photograph people I find that many of them often choose to photograph people using this approach and though I’m not a fan of this method, I recognize why many photographers will choose to be unseen as it gives them a truly candid and authentic looking photos.
"I'm violating your privacy" like taking sneaky pictures of this man..
I'm never "sneaky" about it. I simply take the photos in a straightforward way. Most of the time, people don't notice. When they do notice, I usually just smile warmly - I almost always get a smile back. An old teacher of mine called this "completing the transaction". It amounts to connecting with a human being.
Some people genuinely believe that having their photograph taken steals their soul. Others don't want to be photographed for other personal reasons. It doesn't matter what happens to or with the photo later; it is the act of taking the photo that is in question.
If you live in any major urban centre you are having your photo taken when you walk into any shop, use an ATM, etc. In many cases nowadays you are also being video taped when you are in public squares and streets.
 With some practice you’ll be able to make your picture just as you imagined it and before the scene changes forever. You’d be surprised how positive people’s reaction can be in the face of your confidence and candor.
And it won’t hurt employing your cute smile as well..Happy Shooting.

2 comments:

cutebun said...

There are several articles I read from lomography site that talks about street photography too =)

Bengbeng said...

street photography is not easy. i normally have Abana as my back-up. he is good in communication skills