MY CLICK. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Booked your hotel here.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Street photography in the eyes of Malaysian.

Street photography is a hobby I pick up to sustain my interest in photography. I take pictures for living, and there are times, when picking up the camera is a chore to me.Street photography has become a therapeutic indulgence, when I go out there to the enjoy the people, food and places - eddieputera.
And below is another wise word from eddieputera that inspire/inspirit me most.
If those are too complicated to achieve at the moment, than capture the everyday life. As opposed to photojournalist who were given tasks and topics to report, street photographers has millions of elements on the streets that they can capture and smile about. An old lady crossing the street with shopping bags, capture her pain and endure. A conversation between a disgruntled teen ager and policeman can make a good picture. The frantic sight of a young lawyer in black suits trying to hail a cab to the courtroom. A mamak showing his flattering skills of 'tarik'ing a glass of tea on the streets. Take that camera out and shoot these things. Tourist haggling with street vendors. Ah, so many things lah, just grab the camera and head for the streets. Open your eyes, be observant, take your time before click click, open your heart and most importantly, enjoy your outing.-eddieputera
what's the difference between shooting a sleeping old man and a beautiful rich looking woman walking down the street? Or for that matter, anything in the slums of xxxx, where poverty is a lens cap away? But wait, don't the all depict life on the streets, regardless of their status or well being? Don't we as street photographers have that every right to capture every bit of it as we see fit? Point is, shoot what you like, but don't tell others what they should not be shooting...haha, i guess this comment is from the hard core Malaysian street photographer.
I like...:)
I read a photography forum recently Thread: Street Photography.The moderator did not allowed the forumers to upload a kind of some street beggars,homeless peoples and people sleeping down the street.
Well,quite an interesting discussion going on here about photographing beggars on the street. Generally, I don't believe anyone should be telling you what to photograph and what not to. However, it is worth considering one's motives for shooting beggars.The homeless have long been accepted as one of the classical subjects for street photography. Some of the earlier photographers photographed to highlight social issues, others for personal acclaim and others just to fit within the conventions of what they have seen done before.
Read here from ROBIN WONG Portrait of a Homeless.
Do you know that some forumers would comment "I'll sue you for taking my picture when I'm asleep and posting it for public display because I'm a freak. What was your intent when you shot that picture?
I guess everyone sees things differently. As far as I am concerned, I feel that the photographer is showing different scenes from street life. At no point did I feel that the person in picture 7 was freakish in anyway.

To me he is a part of this world, living his life in his own way as do the other people in the other pictures. To me the photographer has documented street scenes which show the variations in human life. How would a picture of a sleeping beggar (assuming the person above ) be "wrong" while a picture of a sleeping taxi driver (so to speak) be "okay" hehehe....

He may or may not like his picture being taken, just as any other person may or may not like his/her picture being taken. But to me, avoiding taking the picture of someone like this is akin to ostracizing them from society. I mean if I am a beggar I could ask the photographer, "So you only take picture of rich people and not people like me ?"...So.what say you....
So many things lah,,,,, just grab the camera and head for the streets. Open your eyes, be observant, take your time before click click, open your heart and most importantly, enjoy your outing.Be yourself & establish a personal photographic style.

4 comments:

mamadou said...

Inspiring post Uncle. Keep up your good work

Grace-Life is Beautiful said...

Hi, Awang. How are you?

I like your post, perhaps that explains why you covered up the faces in the two photos. I think you are right, a beggar may be thinking , "why are you taking a picture of rich people and not me".
We we are out at festivals, I see so many moments of people that I'd like to take but hesitate because I'm thinking about, do I need permission?

Unknown said...

Mamadou> Thank You.
Grace> You don;t have to ask permission if photographing in public place.

Dee said...

Interesting post awang.... Thanks for sharing ;)